Sunday, August 16, 2009

Lima days/learning how to control my eating






Day three and still in Lima! We will be heading over to Ica and Nasca for the next couple days, then Cusco to trek our way to Machu Picchu. Although Lima is a very cool city, I have to say that 3-4 productive days is sufficient. We´ve done it all here, from eating and drinking (A LOT) at hole-in-the-wall local joints to the fancy restaurant La Mar, to chillin on the beach and watchin the surfers, to strolling aimlessly for hours around the city, to exploring El Centro and Miraflores, and going into churches, to going to bars and a club. The few things left to do on our Lima list: visit Iglesia de San Francisco and a couple other historical sites, go to Parque de Amor, and explore El Centro just a bit more.

I´m in love with Lima, and especially El Centro. It´s the known as Old Lima where there is history written all over the parques, buildings, and streets. We were there on a Saturday afternoon and evening, and it was so lively and exciting just to be in the crowds of Peruvians. Peru has been devasted by big earthquakes over the centuries (there was one in recent times) and it shows the city has not quite recovered from all the tragedy.

Today, we ate a looong lunch at La Mar and now we´re all still recooperating from a major food coma. I´ll upload a sneak preivew of our fancy meal (one of the only ones we´ll be havin here), and post the rest later. I can´t stop eating everything and anything in sight. I´ve probably eaten 3000-4000 calories/day at the least!! But it´s all been worthwhile so I ain´t trippin. I´ve tried all kinds of cebiche, fish, cabrito (guinea pig), calamares, seared tuna, shirmp, shellfish, lots of different sopas, churros with caramel in the middle, chocolates, and MANY postres. I´ve basically tried every dessert I´ve seen. There is one dessert that is a speciality of Lima that I am set out to try when I get back to the city in September.

Anyway, gotta peace out. Leaving for Ica tomorrow at 6AM!


La carta:
Pisco Sour
Norton Cosecha Especial S/A Extra Brut, Mendoza
Santa Rita 120 Cab Valle Central 2007
Atun - Steak de atun premium con salsa de sauco y pure de pallares
Macho - Pepian de choclo con pescados y mariscos, tacu tacu de lentejas
Paella LimeƱa - Meloso arroz arboreo con pescado, mariscos, pollo, y corizo
La Plancas Criolla - Pulpo a la brasa, pimientos, papitas doradas, y salsa de anticucho
(i will translate later when I get a chance!! In the meantime, apprende espanol ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment